Visiting a College Campus (NEACAC – Preparing for Senior Year)
- Do your research
- Develop a list of questions based on your research
- If you know of someone who goes there, ask them about the school
- Dress appropriately
- Obtain accurate directions and length of travel
- *Remember, you will be making a first impression on a counselor who could be the one to review your application…
What to look for when you visit
- A feeling of comfort
- What is the surrounding area like?
- Would you be happy spending 2 or 4 years at this school?
- Listen to what your tour guide has to say and ask them questions
What to ask during a campus visit:
Counselor: Acts as liaison between you and the people with whom you wish to speak; reviews applications during the admissions process.
- What internship opportunities are available in my major?
- Where do students go when they graduate?
- How do I apply for scholarships?
- Do you have special requirement for admissions for certain majors (e.g. portfolio, higher standards)?
- Could you review your financial deadlines and necessary forms to apply for financial aid?
- What services does your career planning office provide?
- What academic support does your college offer (e.g. tutoring, writing center) and is it free?
- If applicable, how do I become involved in your Honors Program?
Tour Guide: Shares with you the student perspective and acts as a mentor during the college process.
- What made you decide to come here?
- If you had to choose a college again, would you make the same choice?
- What types of things do students do on the weekends?
- What was the hardest transition from high school to college?
- What are your classes like?
- What are you involved in on campus?
- Do you feel safe on campus?
- Will I be able to get a job on campus?
- How’s the food/ What are my food options?
- Are freshman allowed to have their cars on campus?
What NOT to ask during a campus visit (because these questions are most often in college literature and on the website. Remember, you have already done your research):
- How big is your school?
- Do you have XXX major?
- What is your student to faculty ratio?
- Don’t forget to obtain business cards from the people you meet
- Write a thank you note
- Record your impressions of the school
- What did the campus look like?
- What did you like the most/least?
- Is there anything that sticks out in your mind?
Sample College Admissions Interview Questions (NEACAC – Preparing for Senior Year)
- What qualities are you looking for in a school?
- How far into the college search process are you?
- What do you think you would like about xxx College/University?
- What have you liked about your high school?
- What have you disliked about your high school?
- What has been your most difficult subject?
- What strategies did you use to be successful?
- What has been the most valuable thing you have learned in high school?
- What have been your most meaningful extracurricular activities and why?
- What do you feel will be the most challenging aspect of transitioning from high school to college?