NEACAC – Preparing for Senior Year
Bad Reasons to Choose a College
- My friends are going there.
- My boyfriend/girlfriend is going there.
- It looks like a great place to meet guys/girls.
- I won’t have to take a math, science, history (or whatever class you are trying to avoid) at this college.
- This school has great sports teams.
- It’s close to home—even if it doesn’t meet my criteria.
- The campus is pretty.
- It’s a party school. Spring Break- Every day!
- It’s close to the mountains/beach.
- My parents went there.
Good Reasons to Choose a College
- It’s the right size for me.
- It’s the place I want to spend the next four years.
- I meet the standards for admission.
- It has several of the majors that I am considering.
- The style of instruction fits my learning style and needs.
- The housing on campus is appealing.
- Support services are available if and when needed.
- The college offers the sports/activities that I want to take part in.
- The college offers opportunities for me to grow as a person as well as a student.
- Students stay on campus on weekends because of the social life.
- The college is within my financial means.